Friday, November 23, 2012

How are we doing?

How are you doing?


How are WE doing?

Someone asked me how I am doing.

I am not OK.

I haven't been able to say I am OK for about six years now.

I don't want to live in a world where the best ideas for how to create a sustainable and just society are left to languish.

But I do not have the power to define what society is; whether it is adaptive or moribund. WE decide that. Our collective actions decide that.

Societies do not adapt in a timely fashion to changed realities when the best ideas are neglected.

Here's our best idea available for ending extreme poverty in the world AND limiting humans' impacts on the environment (to hold them within what most people would endorse as acceptable, as not excessive): Recognize an equal claim to and demand an equal sharing of natural wealth. We can charge a fee to polluters high enough to adequately discourage harmful impacts and give the proceeds to all the people.

(If you are aware... if anyone is aware... of a better way to achieve these goals, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment